The following nutrients are essential for a healthy immune system and can sometimes be hard to get from diet alone. This protocol can be used for prevention or as a therapy to quickly overcome illness.
• Supplementing with 4,000 IU per day is optimal for most people
• The ideal blood level is between 40–60ng/ml. Individuals with serum levels in this range have the lowest all-cause mortality.
• Regular sun exposure increases blood levels, but supplementation is often necessary.
• 20 mg per day of zinc picolinate or zinc gluconate
• 500–1000 mg per day may be helpful to maintain optimal immune function
• Supplementation is not required if dietary intake is adequate.
• Increase the dose to 1,000-4,000 mg/d for up to one week when you are ill. Slowly increase to ensure that your digestive system can tolerate higher doses.
• Take 200 mcg per day 3-4 times per week
• Most Americans get enough from food
• Use iodized salt liberally
• Sea vegetables and pasture-raised dairy products are the best sources.
Black Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of elderberry syrup twice per day
• Supplement with 1,000–3,000 mg per day. This range is not associated with side effects and has numerous health benefits.